31 March, 2008

Olive Drab To Corporate Greens

I had a slight epiphany today when I was sitting amongst chest high stacks of personnel folders that this is a job that I could very easily become stagnant in.

The Army is never short on giving you situations where you're kept on your toes. Depending on rank, you usually end up working one job for about 1-2 years, then you're reassigned to a new job, and possibly a new unit and/or new duty station. Your bosses are always either brand new or heading out the door, and you're always having additional duties heaped on your head.

I can remember at one time as Platoon Leader at Fort Leonard Wood, I was also: The Company Safety Officer, the Fire Prevention Officer, the Environmental Compliance Officer, the Automations Officer, the Motor Pool Officer, the Battalion Voting Assistance Officer, and the Unit Status Report Officer. No sweat. These hands never went idle.

Now, other then a few variations in my job, it's pretty much the same day in and day out. I can't comprehend how someone could have the same office job for 10 to 20+ years. I know that it was the old way that people used to be in a career for life, but I honestly think that's selling yourself short. If you don't diversify your resume, it's not going to help you much should your company tank.

Although, there is something to be said for not freezing your a$$ off in the field for 3 weeks every 6 months.

No comments: