10 March, 2008

Apparently My Wheel Wasn't Squeaky Enough

For the first time literally in about eight years, I've finally received a pay raise based on actual work performance. See, while working at Kmart, I didn't work in that hole long enough to get a raise, and the Army only increases pay for three things: 1) time in service 2) rank and 3) cost of living adjustment.

Yes, not since the days of the steakhouse back in college have I actually gotten a pay raise based on actual positive work performance. I felt pretty good about getting this because I feel that I am hand-over-fist better then my predecessor, and that I've lead the way in terms of taking care of the workforce here, especially for this being my first actual year of HR work.

However, there's a drawback to being HR during pay raise time...and that would be seeing a breakdown of all other departmental raises. Now I'm not one to argue against paying for experience and performance, but when I see a person who already gets a six figure income get a double digit percent pay increase on top of regular commission checks that literally matches my annual salary, I start to question my net worth to the organization. I notice more so that people that have been here less then a year get raises comparable to everyone else's.

Furthermore, I think it's extra funny that the individuals who did the "get me up to market value or I quit routine" mostly got their desired pay increase. Despite my better judgement of character (and decade plus experience in leadership theory), I figured we wouldn't want people working here that are just in it for the fast buck.

Bottom line, I'm going to keep my pie hole shut. Mostly for the fact that as HR, it's only my position to advise management on the fundamentals of congruity of pay increases. I also realize that I should only worry about myself and my merits.

However, in all actuality, I know that if any one of the other employees saw this readout...they'd crap a brick.

No comments: