27 March, 2008

Books or Battles

I never got into reading much growing up. I pretty much still don't read, and I place heavy blame on such tasty wonders as Great Expectations and Bartleby the Scrivener. My mother hates the fact that unlike my brothers, reading for me is pretty much work. And it's not for the fact that I don't have a creative imagination, I just prefer to relax by not doing the work of pouring over page after page of the same story. I think my problem is that if I'm reading, I'm assuming there something I need to know, and I like that text to get to the point.

Along those lines, I've read copious amounts of textbooks for school where they easily could have eliminated all the narrative and just had a couple dozen pages of definitions and examples. That would have made it easier.

As for "reading for fun"...nah. I'd rather sit back and have the "idiot box" just pander to me. Relaxing for me doesn't involve the active use of the part of my brain that controls creativity and imagination. If I'm using that part, then the fun is slowly running away.

See, the funny thing is, even in elementary through high school, when the teacher asked students to read out loud, I can confidently say I was probably one of the few students that could read it 100% fluidly, enunciate better, and say it faster then most.

Finally, I'm all about creative originality. I have a theory that those writers who all read the same "classic novels" (Whoever said Great Expectations was a classic needs to be punched) are all influenced from the same source. Not putting much support in this theory but just a thought.

Besides, video games are better. As depicted above, Sinistar can defeat any literary character, no matter how classic.

What!

No comments: