08 April, 2008

Only So Many Eggshells Left

I sometimes like to equate Human Resources as being very similar to writing laws and regulations, or going back to being in a position of authority in the Army. Everything you say in an HR capacity is essentially taken as the truth, and people hold any emails you send them as some type of golden doctrine. This should be expected as HR is described as being the "gatekeeper" of the Company.

I'm not saying this is wrong, but I am saying that essentially being on guard by watching your p's and q's from 8 to 5 is sometimes really exhausting. HR is not the kind of job where if someone asks you a question you're not sure of, you can't rattle off a guess. It's usually the "hmm, good question, let me check that out". It's painful to make sure that you never give out inaccurate or questionable information. For instance, try picking a commonly used word and going from 8 to 5 without saying it. I equate that actually to me not cussing when I first joined the Army.

Also, when sending out announcements and emails talking about certain procedures and events, you have to include everything down to the last detail, or somehow it will become your fault should something have been skipped over. This even goes for workplace policies where you have to make sure that people understand absolutely what the policy is about and the requirements therein.

Fortunately, I work in a place where the employees are human, and allow for me to say "whoops, I screwed the pooch something fierce" (although I really haven't, and I work about 1 billion times better then the slug I replaced).

That all being said, I have the absolute fantasy of Friday rolling around, and the front doors bursting open to my workplace with two enormous kegs rolling infront of me, and me hefting a backpack of cuban cigars screaming "party people in the house say whhuuttt!"

No comments: