18 April, 2008

"I'd Fight Lincoln..."


Walking into work today, much like every other day, I look around at all the people that most refer to as "suits". These are the men and woman who have had what I would consider a "ho-hum" life. They grew up, went to college, got a 9 to 5 job, got married, had kids, built a fence, blah blah blah. These are the people that have the "mid-life crisis" because once they hit 40 or 50, they realize that all they've done is...grew up, went to college, got a 9 to 5 job...etc.etc.etc.

Much as advocated in "Fight Club", there are certain things that I believe all people should experience. One of the most basic is a fight. And I don't mean a passive-aggressive "you should show me some respect" b.s. you see on Springer. I'm talking about a fists-a-flailing, good ol' fashion, drop down bare knuckle brawl. The kind you can only imagine after leaving a kung fu flick and dreaming you were the main character.

I've had my fair share of a$$-whoopin's. Some being on my a$$, some being on others...but I believe this grows you as a person. And the weird thing is, either way you walk away from it, winner or loser, you somehow feel good about it.

For example: If you win the fight, the story starts..."So dude, I totally kicked this dude's a$$..."

To the opposite, it would be: "So dude, this dude totally kicked my a$$..." Because either way, you come out with a story, and alittle bit of experience. Now I'm not condoning someone go out and start something, but I am saying, is that next time someone gets in your face and you have a remote inkling of a thought that you may be able to take them, hell, give'm a swing! Most fights usually are broken up pretty quick.

It's all up to you. Personally on a more radical note, I would say that even war is something everyone should experience. Sure it's violent, demoralizing, and hellish, but beyond all that, you gain a completely new aspect on life. You don't take anything for granted, and the little things like a flat tire rarely piss you off after that (except me...I hate flat tires no matter what).

So this weekend, I challenge you to go out and push your body to the extreme in one manner or another. Me? Well hell, I plan to see how much beer I can fit in my stomach before I erupt like Mount Busch-sueveus.

No comments: