06 November, 2007

Living In A Maxwell House



I'm always happy to see when people reach certain goals they've set for themselves. Be it losing weight, stop smoking, or otherwise. But one goal that really confuses me is when people, who historically love coffee to the point where'd they'd make out with Juan Valdez, decide they need to quit drinking caffinated coffee, if not coffee altogether.


I first began my taste for coffee in high school. Growing up in a small town, all there was to do was go to the local resturant and drink coffee and talk with friends. Given at first, I hated the taste of it like no other, I eventually got used to it...even so far as I only take one packet of sugar in it occasionally. I laugh because this makes most people cringe. It's been my proverbial "tackling fuel" all through college and the Army, and I still pound down a gallon or two a week, just to keep in good stead (and it helps me get through the slow HR times).


I can understand that people think that just because this is an "addiction" (i.e. there's adverse biological reactions to not "getting your fix" after you've drank coffee for a while), it's not exactly the evil that being addicted to alcohol or drugs is. Short of staining your teeth and getting alittle caffinated buzz on it, there are no known downsides of drinking coffee. I'm not sure what these people imagine is really in it, but all it truely is is a big cup of burnt bean boiling water.


Referencing the following links, you can even see how it can help you. Up to and including reducing your chances of diabetes, Parkinson's, colon cancer, liver cirrosis, and gallstones to name a few. Hell, it even reduces the amount of lung and liver damage from heavy smoking and drinking!


Again, with one day while putting the WTF tyrade to a rest, I sincerely question people's motives when they decide to put down the coffee cup. Sure while tea is good too, and no, I don't condone the 300 calorie triple-mocha-frappa-spanka-wheezy from Starbucks that cost $5, I will argue that unless it's the price of coffee that's deterring you ($1?), you better not be a bandwagon "I'm quitting coffee" and start bragging around me, I'll dump a big ol' cup in your crotch.

Me and Folger's are like brothers son!

Link 1 - So you quit?

Link 2 - Sure you don't wanna come back?

Link 3 - You take sugar?

No comments: