05 September, 2007

No, I Can Definately Hear You Now

So once again I must pull out the soapbox and draw the line in the sand, where if a normal human adult would cross over, they would begin dragging their knuckles and breathing solely from their mouths.
To address the issue of devices designed to transmit your voice, I specifically am talking about drive through microphones and speaker phone.
The event that brought this to the forefront was I just experienced yet another teleconference where 50% of the individuals were either talking through the eye of a needle, or apparently sitting in an empty room with their telephone on the opposite side of the room, and they were attempting to scream at it via bullhorn. My first experience of this was in the Army, when I had gotten a phone call from a JAG Officer (Lieutenant Colonel) about a case I was pressing (I was doing law enforcement). Unknown by me, he was on a speaker phone, so the entire phone call to me sounded like he was screaming at me. Although I know I had ruffled his feathers with what he claimed was a "frivolous case", he later stated he wasn't screaming.
However back to the point at hand. Volume control. Drive through speakers are generally strong enough to hear a cat meowing in the back of a truck. Bear this in mind when you're yelling that you'd like a double whopper with cheese. And also bear in mind, some stores have the speakers set up so everyone in the store can hear you.
And should you find yourself on a teleconference, speak normally. If they didn't hear you, it's a lot easier to ask you again then to tell you you're screaming like a crazy person. And for the love of ginger, resist the urge to push the mute button and say something snarky. We all know how that one might end up.

No comments: