26 June, 2008

At Least My Island Has An Arcade

Ironically while I was passing time today during the mid-morning, coffee induced sprint the bathroom..I reflected on my time in Iraq and how I dealt with essentially being alone to myself vs. how everyone else dealt with it.

Other then my 12 hour a day workshift for almost the entire 10 months, I had no interaction with anyone when not at in the operation center. I went back to my trailor (which I lived in by myself), I usually ate my sandwich in solitude while watching various DVD's such as Family Guy or the "Away From Home" video special from Evanescence. I then followed it up with video games until about 10. The following morning at 330, I'd wake up, go to the gym, and come back and take a nap. I got up for the gym so early because #1 no one was in the gym at that time and #2 I could bathe alone AND actually have hot water.

My peers on the other hand pretty much resorted to fraternizing with the enlisted folk, ended up screwing loud enough for me to know exactly what positions they were in, and on occasion...throwing hissy fits about their general situation at that point.

To which I remember saying something at one point after getting back to my trailor after an especially "wah-wah, I am pissy" day by not only my fellow Captains, but the Major I worked for as well. Something to akin of being surrounded by a bunch of 5 year old who'd lost their security blanket and had dirt rubbed in their hair.

Army of One my a$$.

No comments: