03 January, 2008

Something Weighing Me Down

So now that I've reduced the drinking and increased the gym time, I realize that not only am I fighting myself to get in better shape, I'm also fighting something worse...genetics.

My family is not renowned for being able to bulk up quickly. Even my father and distant uncles, who worked on farms growing up, somehow managed to get skinny and somewhat defined, but never was what would be called "built".

Prior to my new venture into weight lifting, I've also been pretty much against this type of personal improvement. Mostly because of bad past experiences with "know-it-all" muscle heads, and my pure distain for the narcissictic lifters who look at their own a$$es all day in the giant gym mirrors. But also in the fact that all body builders that get older get fat. I'm not sure if it's because the muscle mass loses strength, and fat is the easy way to go...or what. I've always prioritized running over strength because I figured in the military, it's a hell of a better idea to shoot and move rather then stand and fight.

Either way, I do know that I have a strong "max-out" mentality when it comes to trying new stuff. So I'm desperately staving off the need to buy lifting gloves, one of those enormous leather belts, and drink protein smoothies 3 times a day in order to get results quicker.

We'll see where this ends up.

No comments: