18 January, 2008

Hitting The Invisible Wall

Today at the gym is a special day. The usual 30 minute treadmill routine (which is every other day for cardio) is reduced to 25 minutes and divided between the treadmill (15 min) and the stair machine (10 min).

The intent of the shorted version of the run day is to see what my maximum speed is within a 15 minute period. In the Army, the Physical Test you take every 6 months requires you to run 2 miles at top speed. Historically, I've always managed to complete this with an average speed of about 12:20. So I use Fridays (if I've done at least two other cardio days in the week) to essentially "max out" my speed and see where I get.

Today, I decided to ramp it up a bit and tack on some elevation. So here I am about 14 minutes into my run. I've got the elevation at .5% and the speed set at 9.8 (mph I believe - equates to a 6:05 min/mile). As I'm burning off my last minute, I accidently pull the "STOP" button off of the panel infront of me and immediately came to a dead stop. And when I mean dead stop, I mean I couldn't have stopped any quicker had I thrown myself into wall of iron. It wasn't so much the fact that stopping suddenly like that pisses off every major organ and muscle in your body, it's the fact that it quite literally leaves you in a dazed state. I stood there for a good 10 seconds, staring at the treadmill like I was trying to disarm a nuclear device.

After shaking off the vertigo, I plugged it back in, and jacked the speed up to 12 on a .5% incline for 1 full minute to make up the difference. As I watched the speed ramp up, I noticed it couldn't get past about 10.8 and actually said "unable to attain goal" on the monitor. The speed hovered well below 12 until the minute was up.

Treadmill 1 : Azurael 1

No comments: