01 March, 2011

What Keeps Me Up At Nights...And Mornings... And Days

fig 1.1 - "Wow..it is actually cocaine in a can baby....."

Coffee is my main weapon of choice in fighting either early morning drowsiness or even the harsh effects of a hangover. Of course, hot bean water is only good until a certain point of the day, which is when I generally switch over to energy drinks.
Long time readers would know that I'm not stranger to my pure love of energy drinks (or intense hatred of FRS) and how I'm basically animated on caffine and hatred of the world.
I recently heard about this news story about teenagers stroking out to drinking energy drinks, which made me a bit paranoid at first. Why? I typically drink one a day. I know, probably a very moderate amount right? Well, not when you're talking about kids having strokes at 14 over drinking the stuff.
However, in reviewing alot of horror stories, it's typically a bunch of kids who get the crazy idea to drink six Red Bulls all at once. Nothing new under the sun, back in my college years, I remember hearing a news story about a guy who took a full bottle of No Doz and chugged a 2 liter of Mountain Dew. Same bad crap, just different details.
In fact sitting infront of me right now is the "Import Monster Energy" while I'm typing this up. Fortunately, it comes in a resealable can, which is good because I'm more of an energy-drink-nurser. Especially on days that I'm trying to come back from a hangover (like today).
Normally, like most things I love, would take this attack on energy drinks personally as this Parent-Driven Country continues to chip away at everything I like in an effort to childproof the nation (soon peanut butter will be illegal...just wait). However, looking at the potential benefits of energy drinks versus how many people it's killing, probably isn't worth it. I don't think I've ever heard of someone OD'ing on coffee, but energy drinks are entirely different monsters. And just like hot sauce becoming more and more hot, it's only a matter of time until manufacturers attempt to dump as much caffine into a can of soda as legally permitted.
And the fact that people now are actually eating caffine by the spoonful is just not shocking.

No comments: