25 August, 2008

This Seriously Isn't Butter Is It?

This weekend was a consumer's delight as I did an unusual amount of shopping consolidated to one Saturday afternoon.

The highlight beyond foraging for bulk amounts of food in the unending isles of Costco was visiting a dollar store with the intent on loading up on items instead of going in there just for gift giving supplies. This is where it went wrong.

Beyond supplies that you know will work (i.e. party supplies, cleaning supplies, tape, etc), I would seriously advise against dollar stores as this is where the saying "you get what you pay for" was invented from.

There are only two items that are seriously a dollar value when it comes to utility. I submit the following:

- Do not buy paper towels. I've never seen a roll of really wide, single-ply toilet paper being mislabeled as paper towels until the dollar store. Even the perforations don't even work, which means when you go to tear off a sheet, you end up tearing a strip off that goes all the way around the roll. It would be easier just to fashion this thing as a giant, one use sponge.

- Never buy shaving razors at the dollar store. I don't even want to go into my thinking behind this one. True, I have what I believe to be a very high pain tolerance, but when it comes to ripping out every whisker hair out of my face, I'm not down. Yes, I know...buying razors at the dollar store. I've never actually thrown away a razor and 4 razor heads before even using them, but there's a first time for everything. And this one cost me a buck.

No comments: