11 August, 2008

No Cavalry For Me

After returning from another unintentional-but-poisonous weekend of drinking, I'm finally getting to see my inbox build up after long last.

Apparently my ability to shovel through copious amounts of mind numbing paperwork (thank you Army) has raised some positive flags and my levels of responsibility are increasing. The areas that are growing for me are COBRA administration (again), HRIS administration (first time), and employee hiring/firing (again). The reason I say again is that before my Company was bought around the beginning of the year, I was already doing this. Save for learning an HRIS (Human Resource Information System), I'm pretty much just being told I'm an adult and can sit with the other big kids at the Thanksgiving table.

The odd thing though, is that having a familiarity with an HRIS, for some reason in the world of HR, is huge. People will actually deny you a job soley based on the fact that you have used some overglorified Microsoft Access program. I didn't learn anything about there being "elites" in the HR world back in the post-graduate courses. Weird.

No comments: