20 July, 2007

Where In HR Land Is Yours Truly?

I bet you're wondering where my post for the 19th was, or possibly even thinking to yourself "I knew he'd run out of stuff to write about eventually". Well, sorry to disappoint you.

I spent the better part of a whole day in mediation yesterday, representing my company against someone who was suing us of an employment related claim. This being my first mediation, I had pictured us behind one desk facing the other party behind another desk, us facing each other, and simply going at it for 8 to 10 hours, until we decided whether to settle or not.

This is absolutely wrong.

We were in one room, the other party was in another room. I never even got to meet the people I had read so much legal paperwork on. The mediator then went between the rooms, trading messages like we were in Junior High again. Ugh. Pointless.

(Eventually we did settle, but after a day like that, I would have rather kept going with the busy work of fighting this)

No comments: