14 February, 2008

-Random Anti-Valentine Comment Here-

In the usual, 3 pics to 1 video balance I attempt to keep on my blog, this was the only video I could find that made fun of Valentine's day. My initial search of YouTube with "Valentines Day sucks", or some combination of those terms, and the discovery was less then shocking.

Pretty much the only video bloggers of said search were either, old, fat, emo, or old and fat. The emo kids (who tend to be fat) argue that nobody loves them. The fat argues that nobody loves then AND it's a Hallmark Holiday. The old (who are usually all sad and divorced) argue that it's more trouble then it's worth. Blah blah blah blah.

My beef with Valentines is my beef with all other holidays...it's just another day. In fact, if the government doesn't view it as a Federal holiday, it's honestly not on the map for me. Why is it that Valentines day is a huge day but nobody knows when the hell flag day is. Could use the Hallmark arguement that they don't make cards for flag day.

Pretty much I see Valentines day as this. If you're in a quality relationship, you shouldn't feeled pressure to pretty much prove your love on this one day. Just because we're bombarded with hearts and cupids and all the other nonsensical jr. high bs that flys around, doesn't mean you need to do something "special"...and I'll even take it so far as why does it always have to be the guy buyin' crap?

I'm sure waaaaay back in the day (i.e. pre Dark ages), Valentine's Day had a special meaning when people actually knew the story of St. Valentine. Now it's become just another customary day where people feel compelled to show what they should be expressing on a daily basis, just without the "gamble chocolates" (thanks Gaffigan) and the space taking, pointless animated dancing, fuzzy stuffed bears.

No comments: