13 February, 2008

I Can Has Surgery?

Sent the cats in today to get fixed, finally. In the process of doing so, I had to weigh as to whether I was a good cat owner v. were they (the vets) trying to do a pricing guilt-gouge.

Upon arrival, I had to sign the surgery consent form, which I understand. But then I was given another form which asked for my approval on the type of instrument used (scalpel v. laser), and whether I wanted copious amounts of bloodwork done in advance to ensure they didn't have an anesthesia allergy.

Based on my prior experience, having six surgeries myself, I definately opted for the laser over the knife, because it's less painful (post op) and it does heal quicker. This choice was made at an additional $40 per cat.

Moving down the list, the two separate tests that they suggested I have done were about $70-$80 per cat, each. I'm all about making sure my cats are okay, but in the same lane, I'm also not all about dumping another $280+ on minute tests to check for a possible allergy which is pretty rare.

Dude? I feel bad enough taking my cats for an overnight stay at a foreign place where the vets going to break their junk, do I really need to have the "if you don't fork out for this tests, your pets may die" kinda paperwork?

Come on!



No comments: