13 September, 2011

I Left My Heart In Seattle, And My Fan Belt On I-90

In Spokane today...what should have been about a 4 hour trip ended up going actually to about a 9 hour trip. Why you ask? Well funny you should ask.

In classic bullet format:

- 0730 - Leave Seattle en route to Spokane driving my Prius I just got back from the dealer yesterday.

- 0855 - The red ! pops up on my read out, telling me I have something wrong with my engine (I ask car manufacturers why go with a "!" when it might as well be a "you're fucked!")

- 0935 - With the assistance of Google and a Garmin, I find a small old timey auto shop (read backwoods and hillbilly) in Snoqualmie.

-0940 - The mechanic, along with my help, trouble shoot the problem of why my car over heated. Got enough coolent. Hmm.

-0941 - Some teenager (who stood silently and watched the mechanic working on another car), presumably his apprentice, points out that there's a belt missing. The fan belt.

-0945 - Mechanic calls several auto parts store, who apparently have never heard of a 2005 Prius needing a fan belt.

-0946 - Mechanic locates a fan belt at a local Napa dealership. Says he can begin work by noon.

-0947-1005 - I awkwardly putter around in my car, waiting for the mechanic to tell me where I can wait. During this time, he's just working on another car.

-1005-1240 - I bid adieu to the mechanic for a while to go on a walk to get out of the "shop" (two sheds bolted together). End up going to a park, following a trail which leads to an opening near the Snoqualmie river. There I sit on a rock, eat a sad little protein bar, and chill.

-1241-1250 - Move back to a nearby park to once again, sit.

-1251-1257 - Get approached by a 900 year old guy with apparent scoliosis. Only when he's 10 feet in front of me I realize he's carrying a bible and several brochures.

-1258-1300 - "Gus" from the Jehovah's witnesses drops by to give me some reading materials. Gets my name wrong. Both to me (i.e. "Good to meet you *WRONG NAME*) as well as who was driving the car (i.e. "Good guy that *WRONG NAME*). - Authors note...yes, I will be polite, even to a Jehovah's witness. Can't fault a guy for trying to spread what they believe is right...even though Jehovah's witnesses are out of their fucking mind.

-
1301 - 1310 - Much needed deuce from the sad protein bar in a park bathroom I can only describe as being from the set of one of the Hostil movies.

- 1310-1315 - Mosey back to the shop praying my car is fixed.

- 1316 - Get back to the shop, belt is on, with mystery fluid under my car.

- 1317 - 1330 - Let my Prius run to find out both if my car is going to explode as well as if the myster fluid under the car is mine.

1331 - 1335 - My boss calls, having recieved my VM from the morning, laughing about how it sucks to have broken down.

1336-1340 - Wait for someone to move their car who is blocking the bay my car is in.

1341-1345 - Pay the mechanic who has a massive pile of credit card receipts next to his credit card scanner on a tiny plank of wood that can barely be described as a shelf.

1346 - Get the fuck up out of dodge.

1815 - Arrive in Spokane.

Yeah.....let's never do Snoqualmie or my Toyota dealership again.

No comments: