18 August, 2011

"Fear Me!...But Follow!"

Leadership. There are dozens and dozens of theories on the ideas behind leadership.

In my experience, I've found typically a combination of many of them usually works best. I've run into alot of leaders who lead out of fear (i.e. screaming, acting like an ass 24/7) and I've met leaders who are too soft and give too much ground.

Recently I once again had the dubious honor of suspending an employee for acting inappropriately in the workplace. While I never enjoy the discipline aspect of it, there is some level of achievement I feel for wiping out unethical behavior in the workplace. I made this almost a hobby in the Army when I went on the road and sought out Officers who decided they wanted to either throw their rank around, or think they were still in college.

Speaking softly and carrying a big stick is a very strong approach to leadership. When you're working with your subordinates, your job as a leader is to do everything on Earth to support them.

However, when they purposely act insubordinate or refuse to follow orders...well, probably about time to put on the big ol' Iron Fist o' Fury.


No comments: